This instructional sewing video was developed to answer requests from Threads readers for a behind-the-scenes look at how professionals construct fine clothing worthy of designer labels.
Threads Magazine along with nationally recognized sewing expert Louise Cutting
demonstrate the timeless techniques and attention to detail that define well-sewn clothing.
This informative video reveals clever designer tips and little-known industry techniques that range from sewing the narrow hem inspired by a top designer.
Now you can see how pros overcome the common problems the home sewer encounters, including how to sew:
- A no-stitch, interfaced hem that's fast, neat, and ideal for pants, skirts, and tailored jackets
- Balanced darts that correct two problems: dimples at the tip of a dart and unbalanced vertical "fisheye" darts
- The perfect collar that eliminates bulky seams at the center-front edges and improves roll and shaping at the neck
- Mitered corners with no unsightly puckers and edges that are clean and in position
- Designer facings that remove bulk and improve the way a garment drapes, creating a smooth, clean line
And there's so much more. You'll improve all your skills as you learn the ins-and-outs of French bias binding, clipping curves to produce graded seam allowances, and a mitering method that's key to sewing neat, flat, sharp corners.
This video is your guide to mastering those all-important tailoring touches that will enhance every garment you sew.
Louise Cutting is an accomplished designer, sewing instructor, and creator of Cutting Line Designs Pattern Company.